Presenting the all new Ibanez JGM10 Jon Gomm Signature Model.
Jon Gomm, based in Yorkshire in the UK, is an acoustic singer-songwriter with a revolutionary virtuoso guitar style, where he uses one acoustic guitar to create drum sounds, bass lines and twisting melodies all at the same time. The emphasis is still on the soulful vocals and songwriting, and his original material is influenced by everything from Robert Johnson to Radiohead. His live shows combine deeply personal, emotive performances and a natural wit, with a once seen, never forgotten two-handed guitar style, both physical and complex, producing sounds people can barely believe are coming from a humble acoustic guitar.
"A guitar designed for the modern fingerstyle guitarist, including percussive guitar playing. I'm so proud to have created this with Ibanez. The JGM10 has deeper bass and brighter harmonics for a full sound when playing solo guitar music. It has louder frets (yes, that's a thing!) for clearer hammer-ons. It has a unique body and bridge ergonomically designed for percussive playing. It has the perfect scale and string spacing for modern fingerstyle playing. It has a more stable neck for retuning. It has a unique triple-source pickup system by Fishman - Rare Earth humbucker, condenser mic and Powertap body sensor - wired so you can use one regular cable, or split into stereo, or even split into three. And it has a cool headstock shape I drew on my touchscreen laptop my mum bought me for my birthday.
Made with incredible woods painstakingly chosen via blind testing: Thermo-Aged Sitka Spruce top, Pau Ferro body (looks and sounds gorgeous), 5 piece Mahogany/Pau Ferro neck, Macassar Ebony fretboard and bridge.
Developing this guitar with Ibanez has been an incredible experience. Their patience and expertise are limitless. They have not once asked me to compromise on any aspect of the design. Every idea I had was tried. Everything was chosen by painstaking testing: Woods, necks, pickups, bridges, everything.
My dream is that this guitar will remove limitations for modern fingerstyle acoustic guitarists, in the same way that Ibanez electric guitars did for my progressive electric guitar heroes. It's such an honour for me to be a part of the Ibanez family with those heroes today. I love this guitar. I hope you will too." -- Jon Gomm
Let's look at some of the key features of the JGM10:
Read Jon's FAQ about the JGM Signature Model
- The African Mahogany and Pau Ferro 5pc neck has enhanced durability
- The Macassar Ebony fretboard produces tight lows and mid range along with strong attack in the highs and quick response with rich sustain.
- For a better percussive sound, the Macassar Ebony bridge features a top loading system without a bridgepin. It also offers a fast and easy method for string changes.
- The combination of Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend Active Soundhole pickup and Tap pickup offers a warmer, more natural acoustic tone with clarity of sounds. Blending the Rare Earth Mic Blend Active Soundhole pickup with Tap pickup, Fishman PowerTap Earth Blend system allows the guitar to capture the string vibration through the whole body and neck, which provides a rich acoustic tone and a dynamic percussive sound from the body and neck.
- Plugged into the endpin jack only you get the Magnetic pickup + Contact pickup + Microphone with mixed output to one jack. Plugged into both the endpin jack and the mono flush mount endpin jack you get the Magnetic pickup, Contact pickup and Microphone running independently. (a TRS to TRS cable or a TRS to stereo ”Y” cable should be used). Endpin Jack = Magnetic pickup, Microphone output, Mono flush mount endpin jack = Contact pickup output
- Developed for modern fingerstyle players, the asymmetric jumbo body features a low-end focused sound and tapping friendly shape
- A 25 3/4 inch scale helps to maintain proper tension and pitch even while down tuning, a technique modern finger players often utilize. This scale-length also delivers improved sustain.
- The Ibanez fiberglass case offers extreme protection for your instrument.
- Luminescent side dot inlays line the side of the neck for more easily navigating the fretboard in low light environments.
Story of the Jon Gomm Signature model JGM
”Deep Sea Fishes" by Jon Gomm with Ibanez JGM10 - Guitar Playthrough